The goal this week was to start to develop a teaching philosophy for our portfolio. We also had guest speakers Scott Schopieray and Stephen Thomas to help us start developing our websites to host our portfolios.
This week we discussed some case studies and of various situations that can come up in the classroom specifically with micro and macro aggressions. Discussed role of the instructor for establishing guidelines in class
- What are ways the instructor can ensure that the student is comfortable bringing it to them?
- What are the formal mechanisms for bringing concerns to attention?
- Is there a peer review process?
- Should we do more with this in departments?
- What are accessible intermediary steps there? Who should follow up?
During the co-work session, we worked on integrating inclusive practice into our teaching philosophy statements
Scott Schopieray joined us to touch base on the digital portfolios.
- Talked about how to join the various spaces you may be present in – how do you think about them and connect them?
- How to incorporate PDFs and other documents: native documents are better because they are most easily made accessible, google docs is a great place to store these items because it doesn’t eat up space and makes it easily accessible. Google Drive to D2L, be aware that D2L pushes the link to another tab. If you publish to a website then share that link, you can still edit the document.
Talked about backward design. Good ideas here!
- Angela Siebald, Addressing questions about accommodations
- Classroom Observations Discussion: https://docs.google.com/a/msu.edu/document/d/1j5WuIk2-PZhNHsrzjWhUxULP50NsTh30Q4ukJKTqSOQ/edit?usp=sharing
- Digital Portfolio: Brief show-n-tell, 5 minutes each
Discuss active learning strategies
Nicole Geske as guest
- Report back on observation experiences
9:00 – 9:20 How to give effective feedback (document in this folder)
9:20 – 10:20 Portfolio updates – 5min
10:10 – 10:20 Break
10:20 – 10:40 Share portfolio updates in groups
10:40 – 11:00 General discussion/reflection
11:00 – 11:25 Co-work
11:25 – 11:30 Wrap up
9:00 – 9:30 Tour of the digital scholarship lab
9:30 – 9:50 Tour/discussion of REAL Classroom
9:50 – 10:00 Break
10:00 – 11:00 Reflections from the year, how you plan to use this experience, what supportdo you need to enact change in your unit
11:00 – 11:30 Final questions/concerns for recognition dinner, submit things for our mini-video